23 October 2007

I'm a sucker

I was in Publix last week and saw the most pitiful looking plants...

Okay, not really, they just looked lonely, like they wanted me to take them home. So please allow me to introduce the new kids at the Black Thumb: Begone-ya and Caracas.

Begone-ya is just what you think, a begonia. Complete with moss on the soil.
Begone-ya
Caracas is a coxcomb or celosia with brilliant purple plumage and a touch of mold on its soil.
Dark Caracas Cockscomb
Both came in that tacky paper that supermarkets wrap up plants in to make them look as palatable as gifts as proper cut flowers. I had to save them. In fact, I almost brought home another Draco but it was HUGE and a bit out of my budget.

Nothing much more to report. The wildflowers continue to delight and they seem to really like the rain we've gotten the last few days.
Dianthus blooms
Here comes the sun, do dee doo doo
As you can see in the second photo I have a bit of dead-heading to do on those plants.

No comments: